Sunday 30 September 2012

Spooky Ooky Stuff

This weekend I've actually had time to just kickback at home and catch up on a bit of reading/watching. A couple things of note/interest:

I finally caved in and got on-board the highly successful Horror on the Orient Express kickstarter before it ended. Bully!

The spooky month approacheth: So I ordered a hardcopy of Dread. But the anticipation might get the better of me waiting for it to arrive and I might just grab the PDF in the meantime.


Also speaking about other Hallowe'en appropriate games, I'm considering picking up Werewolves of Miller's Hollow: The Village for this years' Hallowe'en party. WoMH is a party game that's pretty much a slightly jazzed up version of your basic werewolf or mafia-style game of the group collectively trying to uncover who the killers are amongst them before they out number the innocent. Last year I did grab the basic Werewolves of Miller's Hollow, though attempting to teach the game to party goers later in the evening turned out to be futile given how much some of them had had to drink, and I ended up losing a card of the game. (Nothing crucial, I just like to have a full set.) Either way, I might get it or I might wait. It is something I think I'd like to add to my library.

Another werewolf/mafia-style game, though less thematically appropriate for the season, is The Resistance. I first heard it about soon after I began watching Shut Up & Sit Down, a great web series about two British blokes that play board and card games. The Resistance has the core mechanics of werewolf/mafia, but players aren't removed from play at the end of each round, which is nice because being left out is boring.

My buddy is looking to pick up Fiasco, but our FLGS doesn't currently carry it. Fiasco is an award-winning, GM-less, collaborative storytelling game that requires only a handful of d6's and little-to-no preparation. The Players are members of a small-time caper that goes disastrously awry. Wil Wheaton's Tabletop has a great two-part session play-through of a Playset he co-wrote, and Shut Up & Sit Down has a short written review of it on their site. Very intriguing.

I read two interesting opinion articles on the current state of Dungeons & Dragons: D&D Needs to Die and D&D Needs to Live. Both make very valid points, but neither help me decide on my current stance on impending 5E or D&D Next as it is currently known. An associate of mine suggested I download the current playtest material and I did. I figured I should at least give it a shot and be at least somewhat pro-active in shaping the new edition. But I don't know who'd be objective through the playtest as many I know are already prejudiced against it or d20 in general for various reasons. I shall remain to be seen.

Cheers! ;{١

No comments:

Post a Comment