Sunday 23 June 2013

Role-Player Mastery-ing

Howdy All,

I've taken a bit of time off work this weekend before the vacation blackout period; my grandpa came over to visit, and we headed up island to meet up with the Missus' family. So far its been awesome, and I had the chance not only to see family, but also actually get my grandpa and in-law dad together for some fishing. I'm just learning to handle a fly rod, but practice makes perfect. I had a tiny bit of luck Friday out on Spider Lake (caught a little 3 incher), but no luck on Englishman River yesterday. 


With the free time I had available, I thought I'd do a short post on a few things of interest:


  • I've finally got around to reading through a copy of the 1987 book: Role-Playing Mastery by the co-creator of D&D, Gary Gygax. I was planning on doing a full review of it, but I discovered that James Raggi, creator of Lamentations of the Flame Princess, did fairly comprehensive objective review on the LotFP blog. Those interested can find the posts covering it here. I'll be posting my own thoughts once I've finished reading it.

  • This well-written article is starting to make its way around my gamer circles: 11 Ways to Be Better RoleplayerI highly suggest checking it out if you haven't, they're all really good points. Seriously, I'd love to have this list as a poster on my gameroom wall and/or as a laminated printout to keep with my RPG books (along with GM Chris's Three Questions for character design, and The List for encounter design in EotE.), because sometimes we could do with a reminder. It also reaffirms my feelings on Kender as a player race. (In short, I think kleptomania is a very weak and unoriginal character trait, and a whole race that uses it as its shtick is just lousy design. A variety of comic relief is best suited to disposable NPCs. No Kenders in my games; develop something actually interesting for your character.)


  • It came to my attention from following Astonishing Swordsmen & Sorcerers of Hyperborea, of a small, indie, print-only OSR zine called AFS Magazine. In the editor/publisher's own words "includes old school gaming modules, adventures, tables, and articles with a nod to the writings of H.P. Lovecraft, Jack Vance, Robert E Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith. This is old school grass roots publishing produced in the spider filled ruins of my basement, ring bound in the style of Chainmail." I like hearing about this self-published old school material, and if get more into OSR-style games I'd consider ordering it. 

That's all for now folks! I gotta go fishing!

Cheers! ;{


No comments:

Post a Comment