Friday 16 August 2013

Edge of the Ninth World

Ahh Friday, the end of my work week. This weekend promises much fun indeed!

Last Monday I finally got to play EotE as a player for once! I was invited to join in my friends game, and I rolled up a Droid Colonist/Doctor based off of the FX-6 series of medical assistant droids. It's obviously brilliant and superb at it's primary function, but heavily lacks in bedside manner and common sense. Think if the Robot from Lost in Space was a general practitioner. I had lots fun of playing his clinical personality in the classic robotic monotone. Can't wait till next Monday's game! 

As of Tuesday, the Missus' brother and his wife have moved back from Taiwan and I staying at our place in the midterm until their accommodations are sorted out. They are a super awesome pair and we've been happy to have them and their cat Zorro.

As you may know, this Sunday is the Day of Gaming at UVic, and I'm pretty much all ready to attend and run the EotE adventure Escape from Mos Shuuta; just gotta plan my route via bus and decide if I want to bother attending the Netrunner tournament (as I still haven't really constructed any decent decks; perhaps I'll just play with the pre-builds from Creation and Control) or trying out the Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Learn-to-Play a fellow gamer is GM'ing.


So if you're a local and need something to do this Sunday, join us up in UVic! It's only $5 and there's tons of stuff to do! Plus door prizes!

This weekend also hosts the West Rock Tattoo Convention at Pearks Arena. An interesting event to check out if you're into that sort of thing; I'm mostly interested in the chance to see my favourite Canadian metal band 3 Inches of Blood! We'll see if I can convince somebody to accompany me as I dislike attending shows alone.

Last of all, after work today I swung by my LFGS and this was sitting on the shelf:



Apparently both this and the Player's Guide for Numenera hit retailers two days ago. Now, I haven't been actively following Numenera's development or kickstarter aside from the small amount of general industry news. Conceived by the legendary RPG designer and writer Monte Cook, Numenera is from what I've heard a sort of spiritual successor to the Planescape campaign setting from D&D, set on earth approximately a billion years in the future where "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" bespokes a science fantasy world akin to Elric, a Dying Earth, and Sword and Planet works.

I plan to write my First Impressions once I've had to time to digest it. Even though I didn't support the kickstarter, nor followed it's development really at all, the had game always sounded very interesting to me; so when I saw that copy available today I knew I had to grab it whilst I had the chance. It was either that or the copy of Dungeon Crawl Classics. So far it I'm happy with my choice; it looks awesome. I can't wait to dig deep into it.

Cheers! ;{١

No comments:

Post a Comment